What’s been happening this November in I’m a Scientist, the online science outreach event

Over the last week, students and scientists have been engaging online in I’m a Scientist, Get me out of here. Together they’ve talked about everything from the potential of CRISPR to treat cancer,  the variety of possible careers leading from sciencewhether pollution affects gravity, how to improve the process of science, and the coolest plants to spot in the UK.

There are 4 themed zones in the event this November: Gravity Zone, funded by the Institute of Physics, Stress Zone funded by the Physiological Society, Microbiology Zone, funded by the Society for Applied Microbiology and Wellcome, and Cells Zone, supported by Wellcome.  There are also three General Science Zones, Uranium, Neptunium, Plutonium, featuring a wide range of scientists. See all the scientists and schools taking part in the event here.

In total, after the first seven days, there’s been:

• 2,492 school students logging in to the seven zones
  • 1,357 questions asked by students sent to the 38 scientists
  • 1,415 votes cast by students for their favourites
  • (almost) uncountable levels of conversation in the 66 live chats that have taken place already.

Primary school students put their questions to scientists in Plutonium Zone. Watch any of the chats live using the list on this page

If all this has got you wanting a piece of the action, then apply for the next I’m a Scientist, taking place 5th–16th March 2018. Or, if you’ve taken part already, tell your colleagues to sign up!

This November there’s still much more to come. From 3pm on Tuesday the pressure starts to mount as the first scientist is evicted from each zone, with another following each day after. Who will survive to stay in the running for the £500 prize? Find out before anyone else from the announcement in the staffroom each day until the winners are announced this Friday 17th November. Best of luck to all the scientists!

Posted on November 13, 2017 by modantony in News. Comments Off on What’s been happening this November in I’m a Scientist, the online science outreach event