What’s happening in I’m a Scientist, the online STEM engagement activity, this November

Over the last week, scientists and students across the UK have been engaging online in I’m a Scientist, Get me out of here. Together they’ve talked about advice for STEM careersclassical music inspirationsscientists’ circus skillsthe number of atoms in a keyboard keyhow to observe people argue without affecting itchanging bad microbes to goodwhy bees have black stripes, and much, much more (Dumbledorus, the bacteria?).

There are twelve zones taking place at once this November:

See all the scientists and schools taking part.

In total, in the seven days has seen:

• 3,479 school students logging in to the 12 zones
  • 1,971ASK questions sent in by students sent to the 71 scientists
  • 2,117 votes cast by students for their favourites
  • (almost) uncountable levels of conversation in the 98 live chats that have taken place.

If all this has got you wanting a piece of the action, then apply for the next I’m a Scientist, taking place 9–20 March. Or, if you’ve taken part already, tell your colleagues to sign up!

This November, there’s still much more to come. From 3pm on Tuesday the pressure starts to mount as the first scientist is evicted from each zone, with another following each day after. Who will survive to stay in the running for the £500 prize?

Find out before anyone else from the announcement in the staffroom each day until the winners are announced this Friday 22 November. Best of luck to all the scientists!

Posted on November 18, 2019 by modantony in News. Leave a comment