What’s happening in I’m a Scientist, the online STEM engagement activity

Great question from a primary school student in Plants Zone. Read the answer

Over the last week, students and scientists across the UK have been engaging online in I’m a Scientist, Get me out of here. Together they’ve talked about everything from what age you become interested in science, to favourite videogames, to why the ‘older generation’ left kids in charge of dealing with climate change, to making STEM engagement accessible to blind people, to the best ways for creating a wildlife garden, to the meaning of feminism and  proudest moments in psychology.

There are seven zones taking place at once this June: Particles Zone and Space Zone funded by the STFC, Influence Zone and Mental Health Zone funded by British Psychological Society, Plants Zone and the two general science zone, Bohrium and Hassium, funded by Wellcome. See all the scientists and schools taking part in the event.

In total, in the seven days has seen:

• 2,098 school students logging in to the 7 zones
  • 849 ASK questions sent in by students sent to the 42 scientists
  • 1,206 votes cast by students for their favourites
  • (almost) uncountable levels of conversation in the 88 live chats that have taken place.

If all this has got you wanting a piece of the action, then apply for the next I’m a Scientist, taking place 11–22 November. Or, if you’ve taken part already, tell your colleagues to sign up!

This June, there’s still much more to come. From 3pm on Tuesday the pressure starts to mount as the first scientist is evicted from each zone, with another following each day after. Who will survive to stay in the running for the £500 prize?

Find out before anyone else from the announcement in the staffroom each day until the winners are announced this Friday 21 June. Best of luck to all the scientists!

Posted on June 17, 2019 by modantony in News. Comments Off on What’s happening in I’m a Scientist, the online STEM engagement activity