What’s been happening in I’m a Scientist, the online science engagement event

Straight in with the tough questions for the chemists in Molecule Zone

Over the last week, students and scientists have been engaging online in I’m a Scientist, Get me out of here. Together they’ve talked about everything from advice for aspiring scientists, to exactly why diesel is bad for the environment, to what ear grommets are used for, to science revision tips, to how to saw the Earth in half (with detailed instructions).

There are nine themed zones in the event this March: Imaging Zone and Nuclear Zone supported by the STFC, Molecule Zone supported by the ScotCHEM, Perception Zone and Relationships Zone supported by British Psychological Society, Time Zone supported by IOP and Organs Zone and Drug Discovery Zone supported by Wellcome.

There are also five General Science Zones, Nobelium, Lawrencium (Wellcome), Rutherfordium, Dubnium and Seaborgium (STFC), featuring a wide range of scientists. See all the scientists and schools taking part in the event.

In total, in the seven days has seen:

• 3,863 school students logging in to the 14 zones
  • 2,132 ASK questions sent in by students sent to the 85 scientists
  • 2,303 votes cast by students for their favourites
  • (almost) uncountable levels of conversation in the 86 live chats that have taken place.

If all this has got you wanting a piece of the action, then apply for the next I’m a Scientist, taking place 10–21 June. Or, if you’ve taken part already, tell your colleagues to sign up!

This March, there’s still much more to come for British Science Week. From 3pm on Tuesday the pressure starts to mount as the first scientist is evicted from each zone, with another following each day after. Who will survive to stay in the running for the £500 prize?

Find out before anyone else from the announcement in the staffroom each day until the winners are announced this Friday 15th March. Best of luck to all the scientists!

Posted on March 11, 2019 by modantony in News. Comments Off on What’s been happening in I’m a Scientist, the online science engagement event