What’s happening this November in I’m a Scientist, the online science outreach event

Over the last week, students and scientists have been engaging online in I’m a Scientist, Get me out of here. Together they’ve talked about everything from whether humans could hibernate, to getting real about biggest school regrets, to how well plants treat their relatives.

There are seven themed zones in the event this November : Childhood Zone and Memory Zone supported by the British Psychological Society, Sleep Zone supported by the Physiological Society, Crystallography Zone and Fast Computing Zone supported by STFC, and Epidemic Zone and Sustainability Zone, supported by Wellcome.

There are also three General Science Zones, Fermium Zone (Wellcome), Einsteinium Zone (STFC), Mendelevium Zone (Wellcome) featuring a wide range of scientists. See all the scientists and schools taking part in the event here.

In total, in the first week there’s been:

• 3,367 school students logging in to the 10 zones
  • 1,862 questions asked by students sent to the 60 scientists
  • 1,686 votes cast by students for their favourites
  • (almost) uncountable levels of conversation in the 86 live chats that have taken place.

Can you be TOO science?

If all this has got you wanting a piece of the action, then apply for the next I’m a Scientist, taking place 4th-15th March. Or, if you’ve taken part already, tell your colleagues to sign up!

This November, there’s still much more to come. From 3pm on Tuesday the pressure starts to mount as the first scientist is evicted from each zone, with another following each day after. Who will survive to stay in the running for the £500 prize? Find out before anyone else from the announcement in the staffroom each day until the winners are announced this Friday 16th November. Best of luck to all the scientists!

Posted on November 12, 2018 by modantony in News. Comments Off on What’s happening this November in I’m a Scientist, the online science outreach event