What’s been happening this June in I’m a Scientist, the online science outreach event

Insects are beeeeee-licious

Over the last week, students and scientists have been engaging online in I’m a Scientist, Get me out of here. Together they’ve talked about everything from eating worms in lessons, whether psychologists use research to bring up their children, how being an scientist contributes to being an artist, to perceptions of prisons, to finding out how chilis could make you a faster runner.

There are five themed zones in the event this June: Wellbeing Zone and Society Zone, supported by the British Psychological Society, and Food Zone, Healthy Cities Zone, and Heart Zone supported by Wellcome. There are also two General Science Zones, Californium Zone and Berkelium Zone, featuring a wide range of scientists. See all the scientists and schools taking part in the event here.

In total, in the first week there’s been:

• 2,096 school students logging in to the seven zones
  • 1,163 questions asked by students sent to the 42 scientists
  • 1,139 votes cast by students for their favourites
  • (almost) uncountable levels of conversation in the 66 live chats that have taken place.

Pupils, meet pupils

If all this has got you wanting a piece of the action, then apply for the next I’m a Scientist, taking place 5th–16th November 2018. Or, if you’ve taken part already, tell your colleagues to sign up!

This June, there’s still much more to come. From 3pm on Tuesday the pressure starts to mount as the first scientist is evicted from each zone, with another following each day after. Who will survive to stay in the running for the £500 prize? Find out before anyone else from the announcement in the staffroom each day until the winners are announced this Friday 22nd June. Best of luck to all the scientists!

Posted on June 18, 2018 by modantony in News. Comments Off on What’s been happening this June in I’m a Scientist, the online science outreach event