What’s been happening this March in I’m a Scientist, the online science outreach event

Over the last week, students and scientists have been engaging online in I’m a Scientist, Get me out of here. Together they’ve talked about everything from whether your feelings affect your breath, the end of spacetrusting Wikipedia,  measuring air quality, losing your experimental data, apprenticeships in science and everyone’s least favourite elements.

There are six themed zones in the event this March: Molecule Zone, funded by ScotCHEM, Space Data Zone funded by UK Space Agency, Climate Zone, Genes Zone, Immune System Zone and the citizen science Enquiry Zone supported by Wellcome. There are also two General Science Zones, Americium Zone and Curium Zone, featuring a wide range of scientists. See all the scientists and schools taking part in the event here.

In total, after the first seven days, there’s been:

• 2,228 school students logging in to the eight zones
  • 1,333 questions asked by students sent to the 48 scientists
  • 1,266 votes cast by students for their favourites
  • (almost) uncountable levels of conversation in the 67 live chats that have taken place.

If all this has got you wanting a piece of the action, then apply for the next I’m a Scientist, taking place 11th–22nd June 2018. Or, if you’ve taken part already, tell your colleagues to sign up!

This March, there’s still much more to come for British Science Week. From 3pm on Tuesday the pressure starts to mount as the first scientist is evicted from each zone, with another following each day after. Who will survive to stay in the running for the £500 prize? Find out before anyone else from the announcement in the staffroom each day until the winners are announced this Friday 16th March. Best of luck to all the scientists!

Posted on March 12, 2018 by modantony in News.