November 2017 Zones

I’m a Scientist, Get me out of here will run for two weeks from Monday 6th to Friday 17th November 2017.

This November we’re running four themed zones, and a range of general zones suitable for anyone working in science. Parents and carers of students in I’m a Scientist can also take part in the I’m an Engineer Future Transport Zone.

Read about all the zones below, or jump straight to the application form:

Nerve cells can pass on messages faster than a speeding car! | Image: GerryShaw

Cells Zone

All living things are made up of cells. Some living things, like bacteria, are made of just one cell. Humans are more complex living things – each one of us is made of roughly 40 trillion human cells. There are many different types of cells in your body, all with specific jobs. For example, muscle cells can change shape to help you move and nerve cells conduct electricity to pass messages around the body at a speed over 100mph! In this zone you might meet someone looking at how nerve cells are affected by Alzheimer’s or hear about how white blood cells protect our bodie. There could be scientists trying to understand how our first cells start dividing in the womb, or investigating how cancer cells can be killed.

The Cells Zone is supported by Wellcome

Gravity Zone

Gravity is not to be taken lightly. Thanks to Einstein and his space-time bending theories our understanding of this fundamental force has come a long way since Sir Zack’s time in the apple garden. But still so much remains to be worked out. Does anything escape a black hole? How can the quantum world experience gravity, if at all? Will we ever detect gravitational waves, maybe using gold cubes in space (check out the LISA Pathfinder mission)? Scientists in this zone will be coming up with ways to find out the answers to these and many other attractive questions.

The Gravity Zone is funded by Institute of Physics

Microbiology Zone

Microbiology is the study of very small, usually single-celled organisms known as microbes. Even though you can’t see them without a microscope, microbes are everywhere you go. Examples include bacteria, fungi, microscopic plants and animals such as plankton. Amazingly, microbes represent around 60 percent of the biomass of all life on Earth – in fact, your body contains over twice as many microbe cells than your own body cells! This zone might include scientists in food and drink production like making cheese or brewing beer, or scientists producing useful medicines from microbes, like antibiotics.

The Microbiology Zone is funded by the Society for Applied Microbiology and supported by Wellcome

Stress? Parents evening. Nuff said. | Image: Houston ISD

Stress Zone

What pops into your head when you think about stress? Homework? Sports? Is it something positive or negative? Does stress affect your body, your mind, or both? We all know what stress feels like. Racing heart, sweaty palms, tense muscles – the whole shebang. Beneath these feelings is an interplay of stimulus (stressor) and response (stress) affecting nearly every system in the body. This zone is for people working in science who are trying to better understand how stress works in our bodies, and finding ways to deal better with its effects.

The Stress Zone is funded by The Physiological Society

General Science Zones

General Science Zones take five scientists from a range of different research areas. We welcome any type of scientist to apply for these zones, especially people outside a traditional academic research environment; the more diverse the work you’re doing the better.

• Uranium Zone Zone — Supported by Wellcome
  • Neptunium Zone — Supported by Wellcome
  • Plutonium Zone — Supported by Wellcome

Could intelligent motorways make this hell a thing of the past?Image: Ben Gamble / CC BY-SA 2.0

Future Transport Zone

The ways we travel are changing faster than ever before. In this new kind of zone, parents and carers will meet engineers creating the future of transport, get to ask questions about what they are working on and find out about engineering careers.

There could be engineers designing safety systems for self-driving cars, planning the infrastructure for HS2, experimenting with hyperloop technology, making engines that run on human waste or even developing smart motorways that never get jammed.

The Future Transport Zone is funded by the Royal Academy of Engineering as part of I’m an Engineer. All schools offered places in I’m a Scientist and I’m an Engineer UK will be able to give the parents and carers of their students access to this zone. 

Engineers should apply at the I’m an Engineer site

Apply now to take part!

Scientists

Apply here, and take a look at this page for our advice on your application!

Teachers

Apply by Monday 2nd October. We’ll send an email out soon after you sign up asking which zones and how many classes you would like to bring online.

This November we’ll also be running 3 zones in I’m an Engineer UK

and a brand new project –  25 Genomes – click here for more information.

Posted on September 13, 2017 by modantony in News. Comments Off on November 2017 Zones